Welcome to the City of Columbiana. Columbiana is located in southern Shelby County and serves as the Shelby County seat.
Incorporated in 1837, with corporate limits one an half miles in each direction of the public square, Columbiana was first called Columbia. An act of the Legislature changed the name to Columbiana on January 13, 1832. Prior to the Civil War, an iron foundry was located in Columbiana. During the war, CB Churchill operated a foundry for the Confederate government. It was burned in 1865.