In addition to twice weekly backyard garbage service, the City of Columbiana provides extra services to residential customers, including collection and disposal of the following:
- Leaves, pine straw, and grass clippings generated on the property, when placed in disposable bags or containers and weighing no more than 50 pounds per container. Bags or containers must be placed at street side.
- Shrubbery trimmings, brush and limbs 6 inches or less in diameter and 12 feet or less in length, generated on the property, when neatly stacked at street side.
- Miscellaneous household rubbish and refuse when bundled or placed in container weighing less than 50 pounds per bundle or container and placed at street side. This is household generated waste that would not normally be collected as normal residential garbage.
There shall not be any rotten, foul odor, or non-combustible materials mixed in the waste and volume shall not be greater than would fit in the bed of the City trash truck. This service is limted to one free collection per month. The customer may request additional service and pay a fee of $50 per load in order to help defray the cost of dumping at the landfill.
The following items of waste are NOT collected by the City of Columbiana:
- Building debris of all descriptions including scrap building materials, demolition waste, dirt, tree stumps, tree trunks, and limbs over 6 inches in diameter.
- All building contractors, landscape contractors, tree surgeons, timber cutter, and other persons who generate waste materials in their work or profession, must remove all waste resulting from their work and dispose of it in an approved landfill or other approved facility. This includes waste generated by individuals or companies that mow grass and maintain yards for hire.
- Hazardous wastes, liquids, explosives, and any other dangerous materials must be disposed of by an approved method and is the responsibility of the owner or occupant.
- Automobiles, car parts, tires, furniture, stove, large appliances or any other object in excess of 50 pounds shall be disposed of by the owner or occupant in an approved landfill or other approved facility.
It is unlawful for anyone to deposit any tree trimmings, leaves, grass clippings, garbage, or any other rubbish or refuse in any street gutter, street drainage system, storm sewer, or drainage ditch of any type.